HISTORY Pg. 4
In 1973, Mr. Richard Janssen joined the faculty of St. John. He was a 1967 graduate of Concordia, Seward and had served in Palmer Kansas before coming to Chester. Mr. Janssen served as teacher, organist, and Music Director until 1998; as Music Director form 1999 – 2000; and continues to serve as organist and teach.
In 1974 Mrs. Connie Mattingly joined our faculty. Her training was at Concordia, River Forest and SIU – Carbondale. In addition to teaching 1st grade Mrs. Mattingly also leads our Primary Choir (grades 1-3), and together with her husband Charlie served the Youth Group for many years.
In May of 1977, the Davis Art Glass Company of St. Louis did some repair work to our stained glass windows, painted the sash and installed Lexan plastic window covers to protect the stained glass and help with heat loss from the church. Also in May, a metal equipment storage building was erected on the parsonage lot for storing the church mowers, snow blowers and other equipment too large to bring into the school.
In July of 1977, the property adjacent to the parsonage became available and was purchased by the congregation for additional parking space. It was agreed that Gilster - Mary Lee corporation would be able to use the space for parking during the week and they assisted by providing the layout, grading, and crushed rock for paving the lot.
July 2, 1980, a heavy rainstorm in conjunction with tornadoes around the area did damage to the church roof and steeple. The large steeple cross was twisted and had to be straightened. Shingles and flashing on the roof had to be repaired and several slate shingles on the steeple needed to be replaced. The chimney cap and many shingles on the parsonage roof also needed to be repaired.
In June 1981, the Cemetery Committee prepared the layout of the north half of the cemetery property for expansion. A road was laid out around the new area and rocked to give easy driving access to all cemetery lots.
Pastor Ranta also worked with William McLaughlin, who served as chairman of St. John Board of Trustees, in order to prepare and submit plans for the building of a Parish Hall. In September 1981, the congregation authorized a parish hall study group.
In November 1981, Pastor Ranta accepted a call from the Southern Illinois District Mission Board to serve as Chaplain at the Chester Mental Health Center and to provide services at the Psychiatric Center at Menard; which he did until the time of his retirement.
12. Pastor C. F. Campbell, 1975 - 1994
After serving his vicarage year at St. John, Pastor Charles Frederick Campbell was called as the congregation’s 12th minister. He was installed on June 1, 1975 by Rev. Herman Neunaber, president of the Southern Illinois District, Rev. Norman Smith of Bordentown New Jersey delivering the sermon and Rev. Arnold Ranta leading the worship. Pastor Campbell had served over 20 years in the United States Air Force. He taught electronics as an enlisted man for about two years. He attended Aviation Cadet training and then was commissioned and spent 18 years as a fighter pilot, a bomber pilot, and as a Strategic War Planning Officer. After his retirement from military service he attended Concordia Theological Seminary in Springfield and received a Master of Divinity degree in Biblical Exegetical Studies.
On January 22, 1982, the Parish Hall Study Group presented plans to the church at all services. A ballot vote was taken and 80% were in favor of building a $450,000 to $500,000 facility. By March 1982, $85,881 cash and $169,145 in pledges had been brought in for the project. On June 12, 1982, the congregation had a large auction of donated items from many congregation and community members for the planned parish hall, which realized $13,000 in income.
Bids received for the planned building, designed by William McLaughlin of St. John and his associates, totaled $591,000. A special meeting was held to make changes to reduce the cost. The changes brought the cost down to $583,500. Kiefner Brothers was the general contractor, and ground was first broken at a special service on August 1, 1982 with $130,642 in the bank for the project. On May 1,1983 a dedicatory service and potluck dinner was held in the new St. John Lutheran Veterans Memorial Parish Hall with 525 people in attendance.
Many activities have been held in the Parish Hall such as athletic events, meetings, congregational dinners, musical programs, occasional use for worship services when the main sanctuary was not available due to remodeling, community activities and private events. It also served as an emergency shelter during the flood of 1993. It has been a blessing to church and community.
Evangelism received special emphasis for several years. Pastor Campbell also restarted the vicarage program in August 1984. The Vicars trained by Pastor Campbell included Stan Harding, Michael Parris, Brad Stoltenow, Jon Anderson, James Burns, Mark Lavrenz, Tim Vaughan, Wayne Woolery and Joe Murphy.
During the Vicarage of Stan Harding (1984 - 1985) the congregation began a monthly “shut-in” service at the church. Some of the Elders and senior helpers brought to church several of our members who normally were unable to participate in regular services for a special service at the church. About a dozen came the first few months. This activity soon grew to as many as 40 participants. Later on, this service and Communion were expanded to include a short fellowship and social time and included sharing of cookies and punch and coffee. It has been a very successful and much appreciated ministry for years. Our AAL group also began providing a special program and a noon meal serving 60 to 70 people several times a year in connection with the worship and Communion Service. The "shut-in service" eventually became the "Golden Agers" monthly gathering as our folks continued to reach out with the love of Jesus.
In January of 1986, the voters approved the replacement of the 62 year old pews in the church. May 9, 1986, new pews were installed downstairs in the church at a cost of $16,453. Some of the old pews were moved to the upper rear balcony, some were sold to another church. In April 1986 a wheelchair ramp was completed on the south side of the church. This has been a great help to many of our 'Seniors' and shut-in members.
August through December of 1987 saw acquisition of title to the remaining properties along High Street from the church toward German Street. (The Jackson and the Johnson properties behind the church for $16,000; and the Steffens property for $10,000; the Grah property at the end of the block for $14,000, and in December, the Schrieber property and house for $28,000.) This secured the entire block around the church as church property. The old parsonage was made available to the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts as a rental property and the Schrieber property was improved with new plumbing, electrical wiring, paint and new carpeting for vicarage housing.
In January 1988, the church received a gift of a complete set of handbells from the Willard Rathert family to add to the music of the church and thus began the formation of our handbell choir.
After many years of operation the old bell tower clock striker failed. A new computerized 'Bell Strike' tape system from
I. T. Verdin Co. was installed and dedicated November 29, 1989. The school children saved aluminum cans as a project to help pay for the $8300 system which also plays hymns as well as the 'Westminster' strike on each quarter hour. This aluminum can recycling project has been continued through the years and has provided a great amount of income for special maintenance projects and for providing special items for our school.
In 1990 the congregation began to use both The Lutheran Hymnal and the newer Lutheran Worship orders of service alternately. It was begun with the introduction of the Lutheran Worship at occasional services, then on alternate weekends. Also in July of this year, the church received and dedicated a complete set of liquid wax candles for the altar as a memorial gift of Paul Mueller for his wife Charlesa.
In February of 1991, the ground behind the church was prepared and paved as a parking lot and Mr. Nelson Rathert installed lighting for the parking lot and the north sidewalk of the church.
In 1992 Mrs. Meg Knop joined our school faculty. She is a 1979 graduate of Concordia Seward, and had served in Grand Island, Nebraska, Staplehurst, Nebraska, Beatrice, Nebraska, and Red Bud, Illinois before coming to Chester.
In 1992 the church narthex floor was repaired and new floor covering replaced the worn out carpeting. The radio booth was enlarged to better accommodate some new sound equipment. Air conditioning was installed in the church in May of 1992 and much of the electrical wiring was updated.
July 20,1992, the mortgage on the parish hall building was paid off completely 10 years from the beginning of the building plan. A special mortgage burning service of praise and thanks to the Lord for His blessings on us throughout the years was offered.
In 1992 a group consisting of Vicar Wayne Woolery, Roger Kattenbraker, and Rick Casten, made a missionary trip to Central America. There they helped build pews and remodel a church in Guatemala and upon returning home they helped prepare a fine mission fair for the community that told and showed through pictures some of the mission work being done. Following their return a Mission Fair was held in the Parish Hall and in May of 1992 St. John’s Mission Committee was formed. In 1994, Kyle Castens accompanied a mission group that returned to Guatemala.
In May 1993, we had another special mission activity with Revenel Benoit for his vicarage and ministry to Gonaives, Haiti. After his graduation from the seminary, he was placed as missionary at large in Gonaives, Haiti.
Also in May of 1993 and on through the summer we were contending with a major flood situation throughout all the Mississippi River area. We made our Parish Hall available as an emergency shelter and housed four lady National Guard medics, two four-man crews of National Guard helicopter rescue crews, and several volunteer disaster relief workers. We stored food and supplies for workers and for flood victims.
13. Pastor Dennis Tegtmeier, 1993 - 1996
With the advent of Rev. Campbell's planned retirement in June 1994, St. John organized a Call Committee and extended a call to the Rev. Dennis Tegtmeier of Irvine, California, who assumed the position of Senior Pastor at St. John on August 15, 1993. Pastor Tegtmeier had served congregations in Nebraska, Hawaii and California and also served as Campus Pastor at the University of California, Irvine.
As the flood of 1993 continued the families of Alvernon and Amanda Kriete, Larry Roth, and Peggy and Lorine Kriete from our congregation lost their homes and crops in the disaster that wiped out most of Kaskaskia Island as well as several small communities up and down the Mississippi River. Paul and Carol Kueker lost all the crops from their farmland on the Island. The Gilster-Mary Lee plant at McBride, Missouri, was likewise destroyed and required major repair and rebuilding after the flood had subsided enough to get back into the area. There was major devastation up and down the whole Mississippi Valley. After the flood it generally took over a year and, in some cases, two years to rebuild and normalize.
Our radio broadcasting was interrupted by the destruction of the transmitter site which was on the flood plain. The FM station, KBDZ - FM 93.1, picked up our broadcasting until some arrangement could be made to resume AM broadcasting on what was KSGM AM 980 radio. This didn't get completely repaired and in action again until the early spring of 1997. Mr. Brian Snider, one of our members and a radio broadcast technician and announcer, was instrumental in assisting with the restoration of our broadcasts.
In January of 1994, the church offices were moved from the north side room of the church into the former vicarage building (Schrieber home) across from the Parish Hall. This afforded much needed office space, storage and better accessibility for church business. It also reduced the need for heating the entire church all the time during the cold months. The office capabilities were upgraded with more computer equipment, and an accessible walkway was added from the parking lot to the office porch in May.
Plans were made to redo the church directory during the summer of 1994, inasmuch as the present book was almost five years old and very outdated. This was accomplished and the new directory was well appreciated.
November 15, 1995, new clocks for the bell towers were procured and installed; as the old clocks had suffered much damage over the years, especially by lightning strikes to the church. The new clocks are now on a separate shielded surge protected power supply that helps a great deal with re-setting and preventing stoppages.
In August 1996, Rev. Tegtmeier departed to serve as a teacher at Concordia University, Mequon, Wisconsin. There he would be teaching religion and teaching about the use of media in teaching.
14. Pastor Mark Willig, 1994 – 2012
(For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2)
The congregation had proceeded with the call process in order to fill the Assistant Pastor position. In April, 1994, a Divine Call was sent to the Rev. Mark Willig, University Lutheran Church, Whitewater, Wisconsin, to become our Assistant Pastor. Pastor Willig was installed August 7, 1994 by Rev. Herbert Mueller, Southern Illinois District President, who also delivered the sermon, with Pastor Tegtmeier leading the worship. His tenure has been characterized by an emphasis on missions.
In September of 1995 members of the deaf community in southern Illinois and southeast Missouri approached Pastor Willig and his wife Paula and asked for their help in providing interpreted worship services and signed worship and Bible Study. This was done, working with Russell and Betty Healey of Olive Branch, Illinois, first once a month at a congregation in Jackson, Missouri, then in conjunction with a Bible Study meeting in members’ homes and in nursing homes, then through interpreted worship services at St. John. Interpreted worship services continue to be offered and several members of the deaf community have become members of St. John.
When Pastor Tegtmeier accepted the call to Wisconsin, Pastor Willig was called to become our Senior Pastor and was installed November 16, again by Pastor Herbert Mueller, with Pastor Campbell leading the worship.
In 1996, Mrs. Cathy Eggers was hired as computer and art teacher, and in 1998 the Computer Lab was installed behind the old stage on the second floor of the school.
The Trustees, under direction of Mr. David Bargman and Mr. Bob Decker, built a new storage building behind the church office building through the spring and summer of 1997 to be used for aluminum can recycling, and storage of church equipment. This was accomplished with the use of volunteer labor and skills, plus the reuse of salvaged lumber that men of our congregation had obtained by volunteering to dismantle the Bode house, an old home scheduled for destruction.
In July and August of 1997 the school basement was modified to expand rooms for our preschool classes. (We have had to keep many on waiting lists.) Also, an additional development of an 'After-Care' school was provided so families with pre-schoolers could have a safe and supervised care area for children after school hours.
In the summer of 1998 Rev. Bert Schirmer (a son of the congregation who was retired and living in Chester) and his wife Betty undertook a mission endeavor to Kyrgystan, one of the former Soviet Bloc countries, to help coordinate the establishment of Christian and medical services to the area of Bishkek, the capitol of that country.
With the approach of our 150th year under God's grace, the congregation resolved to do some major remodeling, renovation and upgrading of the church facility. The first part of our efforts was the replacement of the roof, which had begun to leak. In September 1997 a renovation budget of $457,500 was approved and fund raising began. In June of 1998, the remodeling work was begun and the church services were temporarily relocated to the parish hall. (We had to suspend Saturday evening services due to a number of scheduled uses of the Parish Hall.)
Some of the modifications to the church included creation of a 'Family Chapel' for caring for small children during services, major reworking of the radio booth for improving facilities for sound control, the extension of the rear balcony and choir loft including new pews upstairs and major maintenance and improvement of our pipe organ. New pews were installed and aisles adjusted to meet standards necessary for the handicapped and wheelchair space. New carpeting was installed, painting was done, and the chancel area was moved forward to provide for a free standing altar arrangement. The Trinity Insignia above the altar was carefully designed, and was painted by Ted Mueller, the color scheme being drawn from Revelation, chapter 4. The Trinity Insignia is surrounded by the shields of the 12 apostles (Revelation 4:10) to remind us that the teaching of the Trinity is not simply a doctrine but also a call to worship. On the walls gold leaf and camel color reminds us of the coming of the wise men, and the wood trim beneath the windows on the outside walls forms the shape of a cross. Within the cross God comes to us in mercy and we find life.
Additional repair was done and additional ductwork was provided to improve air conditioning and noise reduction throughout the church. A dividing wall was erected to increase narthex space, provide for greater fellowship space inside the church and still allow overflow seating if necessary.
Special projects were included, as members volunteered funds for the improvement of the Organ, the preservation and protection of the windows, and the replacement of the pillars in the balconies bringing the total amount spent to $706,994. Dedication of the newly remodeled sanctuary was held on November 8, 1998. A recital was presented on our refurbished pipe organ between Sunday services by Mr. Ron Yeater of the Wicks Organ Company featuring music from Bach and other music for the church seasons. Since the rededication visitors have continued to come to Chester to tour the building. Those who served on the Renovating Committee, devoting many hours of service to St. John, are: Barb Fricke, Mary Jane Gross, Mike Hecht, Roger Kattenbraker, Robert Platt, Marlene Seymour and Mary Alice Welge.
As part of the 150th Anniversary St. John held an open house in December 1999 and welcomed the Chester community to tour the sanctuary. A booklet of devotions drawn from various parts of the Church building was printed and distributed. A copy is preserved in the archives.
In the summer of 1999 Air Conditioning was installed in the School, and the electrical system was upgraded, at the cost of $70,000. In June of 1999 a bell striker found in our bell tower was donated to Concordia Seminary, St. Louis to be used to sound the bell from the old Jefferson Avenue campus now located in the seminary’s President’s Plaza. Also in 1999 our congregation’s web site was developed (stjohnchester.com) through many hours of loving labor by Paula Willig and Tony Young.
The celebration of the 150th Anniversary began on the fourth Sunday of Easter, April 24-25, 1999 with Rev. Dale A. Meyer, Lutheran Hour Speaker, and continued throughout the next year, celebrating the theme “Our God, the Rock of Ages – Foundation of the Past, Strength of the Present, Vision for the Future.” Special Sunday themes included: Radio Ministry; World Missions; Christian Heritage (with part of the service in German); American Heritage; Christian Education; Vicar Reunion; LWML & KFUO; Baptismal Heritage; Marriage; Lutheran Schools; and Looking to the Future. The Youth Group put together a Baptismal Chain extending from one side of the altar around the entire Church to the other side of the altar.
One of the highlights of the 150th anniversary celebration year was the visit of our beloved Synod President Al Barry, who shared God’s Word with us on January 9, 2000. One year later, in April 2001, the congregation mourned his passing in a very personal way.
In February 2000 the Southern Illinois District entered into a mission partnership with the Lutheran Church in Southern Africa. St. John became the first congregation to pledge and fulfill our pledge toward the new mission partnership, as our convention representatives, pastors, teachers and retired pastors gave an offering of love during the convention. Bishop David Tswaedi, president of the LCSA, came to St. John and shared the preaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ with us; and Pastor Willig served on the District Task Force to help develop the mission partnership. Pastor Willig is now serving as Chair of the South Africa Mission Partnership Task Force and served as our Circuit Counselor (2003-2009).
15. Pastor Martin Springer, 2000 - 2002
(For in the Gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous shall live by faith.” Romans 1:17)
With the departure of Rev. Tegtmeier, the Call Committee was activated again. In October 1998 District President Herb Mueller introduced St. John to Martin Springer, who was completing his classes at St. Louis and was seeking a site for his vicarage, close enough to continue caring for his wife’s mother. He would serve his year as vicar at St. John, beginning in January 1999, and then could continue as pastor here.
In February 1999, Vicar Springer, together with Alice Decker, Ted Mueller and Mildred Young made a mission trip of several weeks to Gonaives, Haiti, visiting the orphanage and Mission served by Rev. Revenelle Benoit, and assisting with a number of the needs of the mission there.
On January 22, 2000 Rev. Martin Springer became the 15th Pastor of St. John, being ordained by Pastor Herbert Mueller, Southern Illinois District President, and installed by Pastor Willig. Pastor Fred Campbell delivered the sermon, “Fulfill Your Ministry” based on 2 Timothy 4:2-5. Pastor Springer had served in the United States Air Force from 1982 to 1986, serving in the Office of Presidential Protocol at Andrews Air Force Base in Washington, D.C., during the Regan administration. After leaving active duty Pastor Springer served in a Civil Service position, as a Manpower and Personnel Officer at Scott Air Force Base in Illinois, resigning that position in 1997 to enter the seminary in St. Louis.
In the summer of 2001, in an effort coordinated by Pastor Springer, the congregation began to convert the second floor of the Church Office into a Youth Center. The work continued until the Youth Center was placed in service on February 3, 2002.
In November, 2002 Pastor Springer left to serve as pastor in Imperial, Missouri.
16. Pastor Peter Ill, 2010 - 2014
In March, 2010 the congregation voted to call a candidate from the seminaries. Peter Ill from Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, was assigned to us.
Pastor Ill is from Millington, Michigan, and comes to us with a love of music and evangelism. He begins his service at St. John with his ordination and installation on August 1, 2010.
Beautiful music has always been an important part of our worship services through congregational singing and through our choirs. Our organists are Richard Janssen, Mrs. Irene Dierks, and Mrs. Jane Stallman our Music Director. Mr. Janssen and Mrs. Dierks have served as organists for 38 years and 40 years respectively to this particular time. At the present time there are four choirs: the Primary Choir directed by Connie Mattingly; the Children's Choir and the Adult Choir directed by Mrs. Jane Stallman; and the handbell Choir also under Mrs. Stallman’s direction.
Each year the adult choir presents a Christmas Cantata and the Children's Choir and school classes put on special musical Christmas programs. These are divided into three age groups: Preschool and Kindergarten; Grades 1-4; and Grades 5-8. The Christmas programs have usually played to a full church. In the spring all the singing groups and Handbell Choir participate in a Spring Music Festival that has been performed at the Parish Hall followed by a time of fellowship, cookies and punch.
In addition to our Weekend Services St. John provides worship services for our Golden Agers monthly at Church. Our Pastors also hold monthly services for the residents of Three Springs Lodge; St. Ann Care Center; Craig Manor, Perryville Nursing Home; and the Hi-Rise Apartments on Opdyke.
It is with thankful hearts that our congregation looks back on the many and great blessings that God has showered upon us and the wonderfully faithful workers He has provided for doing His services. Truly, He is our Good Shepherd. All glory and praise to Him through Christ, our Lord and Savior.
PASTORS EMERITI LIVING IN CHESTER
Rev. Charles F. Campbell
Rev. Kenneth Young
PASTOR “SONS” OF THE CONGREGATION
Walter Lemmermann (Springfield, 1955) Delbert Gremmels (St. Louis, 1955)
Donald Nordmeyer (St. Louis, 1959) Ralph Mueller (St. Louis, 1959)
William F. Moeller (St. Louis, 1960) Elmer A. Reuscher (St. Louis, 1963)
Bertram I. Schirmer (Springfield, 1971) Larry M. Vogel (St. Louis, 1981)
Kyle Castens (St. Louis, 2000)
PRINCIPALS OF ST. JOHN LUTHERAN SCHOOL
Mr. Adolph Leitz Until 1944
Mr. Walter Lobitz 1944 - 1946
Mr. Clarence Berndt 1946 - 1956
Mr. Martin Grefe Until 1965
Mr. Roland Rehmer 1965 – 1970
Mr. Bill Sturm 1970 – 1971
Mr. Ralph Granger 1971 – 1987
Mr. Chris Urquhart 1987 – 2011
Mrs. Brenda Owen 2011 -
SYNODICAL TEACHERS FROM ST. JOHN
Zina (Decker) Bachert
Connie (Brelje) Bunke
Paul G. Crisler
Linda (Cash) Egge
Mary (Cash) Hilgendorf
Jill (Searles) Lund
Carol (Erdmann) Moritz
Sandra (Vogel) Pederson
Doris (Vogel) Quade
Robert C. Rehmer
Jeanne (Mueller) Rempfer
Cindy (Decker) Schumacher
Jeanne (Mueller) Seager
Phylis (Schaardt) Sievers
Lynn (Weber) Stibrick
Alecia (Wittenbrink) Winterstein
CHAPLAINS AT MENARD AND CHESTER MENTAL HEALTH
Rev. Charles Strassen Until 1908
Rev A. G. Dunow 1920 - 1922
Rev. Paul Glahn 1938
Rev. Gustav Roesener 1928 - 1950
Rev. Henry Gerecke 1950 - 1961
Rev. Eric Cash 1967 - 1972; temporary 1961 - 1967
Rev. Bob Brown 1977 - 1980; May - August, 1993
Rev. Arnold Ranta 1981 - 1993; half time 1993 - 1995
Rev. Bert Schirmer 1994 - 1998
Rev. David Kollmeyer From 1998 at Chester Mental Health; from 1999 at Menard
TEACHERS OF ST. JOHN LUTHERAN SCHOOL
Rev. Sig. Butterman 1849
Rev M. Eirich 1849 – 56
Mr. F. Schachemeyer 1856 – 57
Mr. H. W. Hoppe 1856 – 66
Mr. D. Meibohm 1865 – 67
Mr. H. W. J. Fehlhaber 1867 – 68
Rev. M. Stephan 1868 – 69
Mr. J. W. Hild 1869 – 75
Mr. Carl Bewie 1871
Mr. C. Waschilewsky 1873 – 78
Mr. L. Lohmeier 1875 – 83
Mr. G. Allmeyer 1878 – 83
Mr. H. Zastrow 1883 – 25
Mr. H. Lanneman 1883 – 90
Mr. Paul Arndt 1897 – 03
Miss Dora Zastrow 1902 – 10
Mr. H. Lehmann 1903 – 04
Mr. O. E. Schroeter 1905 – 12
Mr. K. Hoffman 1908 – 09
Mr. Martin Grefe 1910 – 65
Mr. Arthur Buescher 1913 – 16
Miss Esther Gilster 1916 – 19
Miss Ernestine Richter 1919 – 21
Mr. William Allmeyer 1921 – 23
Miss Lydia Wiebusch 1921 – 47
Mr. R. Buuch 1925 – 56
Mr. Walter Beinke 1926
Miss Anna Brauer 1926 – 27
Miss Gertrude Persson 1927 – 28
Rev. Gustav Roesener 1928 – 48
Miss Ruth Fritz 1931 – 32
Mr. Kenneth Ahl 1932 – 33
Mr. Adolph Leitz 1933 – 44
Mr. Walter Lobitz 1944 – 46
Mr. Ted Meyer 1944 – 45
Mrs. George Herschbach 1944 – 45
Miss Mildred Fuss 1945 – 47
Miss Edna Weiss 1945 – 46
Mr. Clarence Berndt 1946 – 56
Miss Ruth Hannebut 1946
Mrs. Eugene Dykstra 1947 – 48
Mr. A. Maurer 1948
Miss Yvonne Cole 1947 – 48
Mrs. Leo Meyerhoff 1946 – 47
Mrs. L. S. Torrence 1947 – 50
Mr. John Kober 1948 – 54
Mr. Aaron Kopf 1948 – 56
Miss Dolores Drees 1948 – 50
Miss Irma Suechting 1949 – 50
Miss Irma Schueler 1950 – 53
Miss Dora Richter 1950 – 51
Miss Esther Cliff 1950 – 53
Miss Glenice Krieger 1951 – 53
Mrs. Carolyn Mahon 1951 – 61
Mrs. George Bargman 1953 – 66
Mrs. Irma Suechting 1949 – 50
Mr. Robert Meyer 1953 – 55
Mrs. Robert Meyer 1953 – 55
Mrs. Frieda Mueller 1953 – 54
Mrs. Lillian Torrence 1953 – 54
Miss Marlene Suhr 1954 – 55
Mr. Arthur Boeshans 1955 – 56
Mrs. Robert Koenig 1955 – 56
Miss Marlene Bathke 1955 – 57
Mrs. Carl Bewie 1955 – 58
Miss Irene Merkle 1955 – 58
Mrs. Mildred Dial 1956 – 66
Mr. Lloyd Wippich 1956 – 57
Mr. Allen Freudenburg 1956 – 57
Miss Clara Gade 1957 – 63
Mr. R. C. Rehmer 1957 – 70
Miss Carol Erdmann 1957
Mr. Robert Holste 1957 – 67
Miss Irma Gade 1958 – 63
Miss Darlene Beck 1958 – 59
Miss Glenn Miller 1958 – 59
Mrs. Carl Bewie 1960 – 64
Mrs. Kenneth Gross 1961 – 62
Mrs. Harvey Kath 1961 – 63
Miss Doer 1962 – 63
Mr. Myron Schumacher 1963 – 64
Mrs. Pat Schoemaker 1963 – 64
Mr. Merlin Holstein 1964 – 71
Miss Mary Jane Carletta 1964 – 66
Mrs. Sam Johnson 1964 – 70
Mrs. Betty Holste 1964 – 66
Mr. David Seager 1965 – 70
Miss Rosie Heinks 1966 – 67
Miss Lois Hefker 1967 – 70
Mrs. Carl Bewie 1967
Mr. Oscar Rehmer 1967 – 68
Mrs. Margaret August 1967 – 68
Mr. Bill Rojhaas 1967 – 68
Mrs. Collette Powley 1968 – 71
Miss Shirley Kindelberger 1968 – 71
Mr. Willian Barney 1968 – 69
Miss Mary Boretta 1968 – 69
Mr. Bill Sturm 1968 – 76
Mrs. Francis Barnes 1969 – 71
Mr. Chris Urquhart 1970 –
Miss Donna Decker 1970 – 73
Mr. Cecil Roth 1970 – 71
Miss Loween Aadland 1971
Mrs. Kathy Werning 1971 – 72
Mrs. Pam Sheely 1971 -- 10
Mr. Charles Winterstein 1971 – 85
Mr. Steve Egge 1971 – 73
Mr. Ralph Granger 1971 – 91
Miss Lydia Homan 1971 – 92
Miss Sue Hiteschew 1972 – 74
Mr. Richard Janssen 1973 – 00
Miss Valerie Baumgart 1973 – 74
Mrs. Connie Mattingly 1974 – 2014
Miss Shirley Mueller 1974 – 75
Mrs. Warren Buescher 1974 – 76
Mr. John Schnack 1975 – 84
Mrs. Marlene Mueller 1975 – 77
Mrs. Debbie Schnack 1976 – 84
Miss Julie Koenemann 1984 – 85
Mr. Bradley Wold 1984 – 85
Miss Karen Bevirt 1984 – 86
Miss Brenda Kryzske 1985 – 88
Miss Jeanie Dreessen 1985 – 86
Miss Susan Schwartz 1986 – 95
Mr. Kenneth Stravers 1986 – 89
Miss Nancy Johnson 1988 – 90
Mrs. Janell Cox 1989 – 96
Mrs. Terri Franklin 1990 – 91
Mrs. Lisa Mirty 1991 – 93
Mrs. Melissa Gross 1991 – 92
Mr. Dan Junkin 1992 – 93
Miss Kim Fries 1992 – 94
Mrs. Meg Knop 1992 –
Mrs. Lari Mulholland 1992 –
Mrs. Mary Stallman 1993 – 99
Mrs. Gina Hamm 1993 – 95
Mrs. Amy Law 1993 – 99
Mrs. Wendy Lochhead 1994 –
Miss Beth Engelage 1995 – 96
Mrs. Judy Ebers 1996 -- 03
Miss Alesia Yallaly 1996 – 98
Mrs. Kathy Belcher 1998 –
Mr. Tom Schultze 1998 -- 02
Mrs. April Schwarting 1999 –
Miss Malinee Parrish 2000 – 01
Mrs. Janet Baldwin 2001 –
Miss Renee Krack 2002 – 04
Mrs. Jeannie Wagner 2003 –
Mrs. Sabrina Jeremiah 2004 –2014
Mrs. Brenda Owen
Miss Kaela Powley
Mr. Luke Lochhead
Mrs. Rebecca Nobbe
Mrs. Andrea Luthy
Mrs. Melissa Gross
Miss Mesha Reiman
Miss Lindsey Breithaupt 2014-
Mrs. Meghan Blechle 2014-
Mrs. Sarah Koester
THE VICARS OF ST. JOHN LUTHERAN CHURCH
1961 Arlen Busse Springfield, 1963 Altamont Springs, Florida *
Harvey Kath St. Louis, 1964 Nevis, Minnesota (Retired)
1963 Dave Shoemaker Springfield, 1965 Sonora California (Retired)
1964 Ted Dallmann St. Louis, 1966 Fredonia, New York (Retired)
1965 Don Clausen Prior Lake, Minnisota *
1966 Jerry Klug St. Louis, 1968 Paris, Illinois (Retired)
1967 Alan Bachert Springfield, 1969 Chesterfield, Missouri (Retired)
1968 Harold Austermann St. Louis, 1970 Neshkoro, Wisconsin*
1969 Bob Muller St. Louis, 1971 Garrett, Indiana (Retired)
1970 Les Weiser Springfield, 1972 Memphis, Tennessee *
1971 John Ehlke St. Louis, 1973 Atonement, Spring Valley, California
1972 John Sellmeyer Springfield, 1974 Craig, Missouri*
1973 Russ Zimmermann Springfield, 1975 Bay City, Michigan (Retired)
1974 C. F. Campbell Springfield, 1974 Chester, Illinois (Retired)
1984 Stan Harding St. Louis, 1986 Immanuel, Elmhurst, Illinois
1985 Mike Parris Ft. Wayne, 1987 St. Peter, Riceville, Iowa
1986 Brad Stoltenow Ft. Wayne, 1988 Shepherd of the Hills, Centennial, Colorado
1987 Jon Anderson Ft. Wayne, 1990 Concordia Lutheran High School,
Fort Wayne, Indiana
1988 Jim Burns St. Louis, 1990 First, Benton, Arkansas
1989 Mark Laverenz Ft. Wayne, 1991 Bethlehem, Mason City, Iowa
1990 Tim Vaughn Ft. Wayne, 1992 Trinity, St. Francis, Minnesota
1991 Wayne Woolery Ft. Wayne, 1992 St. John, Homestead, Iowa
1992 Joe Murphy Ft. Wayne, 1994 Grace, Parker, Colorado
1999 Martin Springer St. Louis, 2000 Trinity, Edwardsville, Illinois
2004 David Kern Ft. Wayne, 2005 St. Paul, West Frankfort, Illinois
2005 Matt Buse Ft. Wayne, 2007 Australia
2006 Michael Standfest Ft. Wayne, 2008 St. Paul, Boone, Iowa
2007 Adam Filipek St. Louis, 2009 Trinity, Hicksville, New York
2008 David Hoehler St. Louis, 2010 St. Paul, Shobonier, Illinois
2009 Gail Heimgartner Ft. Wayne, 2010 Trinity, Anna, Illinois
* Last known location